Tuesday, April 2, 2013

91 Caravan 3.3 fuel leak from fuel rail

Apparently these caravans are plagued by leaky fuel rails. The fuel rail is a patented part, so you won't get a new one except from Mopar, and it costs about 400 -500 dollars. I used the information posted here and it worked perfectly for me: no gas smell from the engine compartment (no flames either!), no hard starts because the fuel has lost pressure. I used a hose barb (shown) with multiple barbs. After doing some research, I think it may have been better to use one with a single barb, but I am not sure. Either way, I used 2 hose clamps on each end, and it hasn't budged. I also used fuel injected rated hose, and used JB water weld as pipe dope (I never plan to take the barbs off again). It may have been better to use teflon tape rated for fuel use.
The size of the fuel rail (the inner diameter) is PERFECT for a 1/4" tap.


1 comment: