Thursday, July 12, 2012

New Window

Another project was building a window, paneling, and shelves in Lucy's room, which previously had no window. If I had to do it again, I would have done all the internal framing BEFORE cutting through the sheathing on the outside... just like you do on new construction. That way you can cut the hole in the exterior sheathing using your new framing as a guide.
Other than that, the process went pretty smoothly.

Shelves and Furniture in the Workshop

Another task I have finished is making new workbenches and shelves for my business, . I have verified that a good space to work in is very important, and easily pays for itself, so I made some good sturdy shelves for my storage area, and nice workbenches on which to repair and refurbish electronics.
This is where I store some of the items waiting to be repaired. All the shelves are made of OSB and 2x4 's.

I also added some shelves to the walls to keep the clutter off the ground.
This table is divided in the middle, I wanted it 1/2 of it to be like one of those desks they have in the study halls and school libraries.

These workbenches are 2' x 8', I made 2 of them
I left an open space and quickly used it to change the struts on the van. It is a great delight to be able to work indoors on a car!


I've built a lot of gates lately. One thing to note is that there is a nice Z shape to a properly made gate. The shape of the Z is important, with the hinges on the correct side of the z! At first I put them on backwards, but I soon noticed that every single gate that I saw had the hinges differently than mine, and I finally looked it up and it IS important to have the hinges on the correct side... so I had to switch them around.
Note where the hinges are in relation to the z.

This is actually a very large pair of gates, so we can drive a car through if necessary.

Here is the stream that runs by our house